Home Travel Guide Accommodation Shopping Events Eat Out





www.aguide2.com
Bars
Buses & tours
Children
Churches
Clubs
Eating Out
Emergency
First Class
Galleries
Gardens & Parks
General
History
Links
Map
Markets
Mid Range
Mosques
Museums
Night Life
Sights I
Sights II
Sights III
Sights IV
Sights V
Sights VI
Synagogues
Taxi
Theaters
weather
Israel 

Jerusalem Churches

Lutheran Church of the Redeemer
For a 360-degree view of the walled city climb up the winding staircase in the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer in the Christian Quarter. Breathtaking view awaits you at the top.

Church of the Holy Sepulcher
Across from the Lutheran Church is the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, also  called the Church of the Resurrection, which is said to mark the site of the crucifixion, burial and resurrection of Christ. Built in the 4th century on top of a temple to the Roman goddess Venus and rebuilt again by Crusaders in the 12th century the building encompasses the last five Stations of the Cross. Once rather dark and grim the church is now suffused with light from a skylight capping its newly restored dome.

Church of Dormition
The Church of the Dormition where the Virgin Mary is thought to have died (note the round zodiac mosiac on the floor) and the very plain Room of the Last Supper. Stand in it and try to bring to mind Leonardo da Vinci’s mural.
 
Mount of Olives
To the east outside the Old City lies the Mount of Olives its slopes lined with the tombs of the Jewish Cemetery the oldest burial ground in the world still in use. Also on the Mount of Olives is the beautiful Church of All Nations.
 
Saint George's Cathedral
Neo-Gothic towers adorn this compound, which also includes an excellent travelers' guest house and the headquarters for the Anglican archbishopric, with jurisdiction extending as far across the Middle East as Sudan. It's a rare architectural enclave for this part of the world, recalling the courtyards of Oxford or Cambridge. Feel free to pass through the courtyard for a look. The complex also contains a religious college, a school, a small garden, and residences. There is a small exhibit of beautiful Palestinian textiles on display as well.
Address: Nablus Rd.
Opening Hours: Daily 9am-4pm
 
Church of All Nations
The Church of All Nations, also known as the Church of the Agony or the Basilica of the Agony, is a Roman Catholic church located on Mount of Olives in Jerusalem, next to the Garden of Gethsemane. It enshrines a section of bedrock where Jesus is said to have prayed before the night of his arrest.
The chapel was built from 1919 to 1924 using funds from many different countries (hence the title). The symbols of each country are incorporated into the glass of the ceiling, each in a separate, small dome. The front of the church is a facade supported by a row of pillars. Above is a modern mosaic depicting Jesus Christ symbolically as the link between God and humanity.

Church of Saint Anne
Coming from the Lion's Gate, on the right, 200 feet inside the gate, is a wooden doorway leading to a hidden garden enclave where you'll find this beautiful 12th-century Crusader church, erected in honor of the birthplace of Anne (Hannah), the mother of Mary. It is built next to the Pool of Bethesda, the site where Jesus is believed to have healed a paralytic. As the church is just a few hundred feet east of the Sanctuaries of the Flagellation and the Condemnation, at the beginning of the Via Dolorosa, so you might want to visit it before following the stations of the cross. Saint Anne's acoustics, designed for Gregorian chant, are so perfect that the church is virtually an instrument to be played by the human voice. Pilgrim groups come to sing in the church throughout the day, and you, too, are welcome to prepare a song of any religion--only religious songs are permitted. The church's acoustics are most amazing when activated by a soprano- or a tenor-range solo voice.
Address: The Lion's Gate
Opening Hours: Mon-Sat 8am-noon and 2-5pm (until 6pm in summer)

Augusta Victoria
Augusta Victoria was built in 1906 as a center for the German Protestant community in Palestine. The complex consisted of a church with a 65-meter bell tower and a hospice for Christian pilgrims. Augusta Victoria is located in East Jerusalem, between the Mount of Olives and Mount Scopus. Today, it is an Arab hospital. The bell tower remains a distinctive landmark on the East Jerusalem skyline.
  
Church of Maria Magdalene
The Church of Maria Magdalene is a the Russian Orthodox Church located on the Mount of Olives, in the Garden of Gethsemane in Jerusalem, Israel.
The church is dedicated to Miryam of Migdal, a follower of Jesus. Maria Magdalene was the first to see Christ after he was resurrected, and was a crucial and important disciple of Jesus, and seemingly his primary female associate, along with Mary of Bethany, whom some believe to have been the same woman.
The church was built in 1886 by Tzar Alexander III as a commemoration for his mother, Empress Maria Alexandrovna of Russia, in the traditional tented roof Russian style, including seven onion shaped golden domes.
 
Church of Saint Peter in Gallicantu
The Church of Saint Peter in Gallicantu was built in 1931 on the eastern slopes of Mount Zion to commemorate Peter's triple rejection of Jesus and his subsequent remorse. Beneath the church are a series of carved-out chambers from the Second Temple period. Since Catholic tradition positions the palace of Caiaphas on this very site, it is believed that Jesus may have been imprisoned in one of these underground crypts.
 
Church of Dominus Flevit
Located on the Mount of Olives immediately facing the Old City of Jerusalem, the sanctuary church of Dominus Flevit, which translates from Latin as "The Lord Wept", was fashioned in the shape of a teardrop. Here, according to the 19th chapter of the Gospel of Luke, Jesus, while walking toward the city, becomes overwhelmed by the beauty of the Second Temple and, predicting its future destruction, weeps openly. Luke 19, 37-42.
One of the newest churches in Jerusalem, Dominus Flevit sits atop an ancient site. During construction of the sanctuary archeologists uncovered artifacts dating back to the Canaanite period, as well as tombs from both the Second Temple and Byzantine eras. Also unearthed was a 7th century Byzantine shrine, of which some mosaics remain.
 
Ein Kerem
Ein Kerem, literally, "Spring of the Vineyard"; commonly known as Ein Karem, is a picturesque neighborhood nestled in the hills of southwest Jerusalem. According to Christian tradition, this is the site where John the Baptist was born, hence Ein Kerem's attraction to Christian pilgrims and the proliferation of churches and monasteries.
 
St. James Cathedral
The Cathedral of Saint James is the seat of the Armenian Patriarch, and one of the most beautiful churches of the Holy Land. It has been built on the site of the tombs of St. James the Apostle, and St. James the Brother of the Lord.
A magnificent edifice dating from the 12th century with mostly 18th century decoration because of the renewal work carried out by the late Patriarch, Gregory the Chain bearer (1715-1749). It ranks as one of the most awe-inspiring in all of the Middle East.
The Cathedral is open to visitors during Morning Services, from 6:00 to 7:30, and during Vespers, from 15:00 to 15:30. Tour is available by calling, preferable a day before. Mobile 054-7642049. Tel 02- 6282331
  
The Holy Trinity Church
The Russian Compound is one of the oldest districts in central Jerusalem, including a few government buildings and the Holy Trinity Church. The compound covers 68 dunams between Jaffa Road, Shivtei Israel street and The Prophets street. The compound's construction from 1860-1864 was ordered by the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society to serve the Russian pilgrims to the holy city. Designed by Russian architect Martin Ivanovich Eppinger in a Byzantine-influenced style, it included a Mission, consulate, hospital, and hostel-space for 2,000.
 
St. Andrew’s Church
St Andrew’s Church was built as a memorial to the Scottish soldiers who died in the region during World War I. It is a congregation of the Church of Scotland. The foundation stone was laid by Field Marshal Lord Allenby on 7th May 1927 and the church was opened in 1930. Services are held every Sunday and there is a guest house providing accommodation for visitors. The current minister (since 2006) is the Reverend Jane Barron, formerly minister at Stobswell Church in Dundee, Scotland.
 
St. Jacob's Church

Address: Jaffa Gate Jerusalem East

Tel: 972-2-6289112

St. John's Church

Address: Ein Kerem Jerusalem

Tel: 972-2-6413639

St. Stephen's Church

Address: Jericho Rd. Jerusalem

*Info courtesy of Jerusalem Municipality.



Add your Hotel here
www.aguide2.com


Bookmark and Share


© Copyright 2007-2008 http://www.aguide2israel.com All rights reserved.

Every effort has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the content of this site but
the publisher cannot be held responsible for the consequences of any errors.A number of
external links exist within the site and the publisher does not endorse any such external links.